Thursday, May 9, 2013
This week's news that millions have been found in DeKalb's school budget begs the question: where should the money go? Patch wants your opinion.
Talk about a nice problem to have. DeKalb school officials this past weekend came across $21 million in previously overlooked revenue - news that interim school superintendent Michael Thurmond shared with "stunned" school board members Monday. Thurmond also said another $7 million in unaccounted revenue in the current fiscal year was discovered. So, if you were running DeKalb's school board, where would you spend the money? Teacher pay raises, or hiring more teachers? Better classroom technology? Paying down those legal fees the board's suspended members racked up at taxpayer expense? Or paying down the system's $15 million deficit? Share your thoughts in the Comments section below. See Also: Questions Arise After School Board Millions …
Monday, April 1, 2013
Patch will interview the former DeKalb school board member beginning at 6:45 pm on Monday night.
Former DeKalb school board member Nancy Jester will be doing another live blog during Monday night's school board meeting. Jester represented District 1, now represented by John Coleman. Patch will be doing a live Q&A with her beginning at 6:45 pm. The school board meeting is set to begin at 7 pm. Here is a link to the agenda for Monday night's meeting. Follow Patch's Extensive Coverage of the DeKalb School Board: New School Board Gets Active Live Blog: Nancy Jester Following the DeKalb School Board Meeting Thurmond Faces Tough Crowd at Dunwoody Meeting Thurmond Tells Dunwoody Residents, 'We Will Keep Accreditation' Bob Dallas Among Those Volunteering for DeKalb School Board Dunwoody's Nancy Jester Resigns from DeKalb School Board Federal…
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
A former DeKalb school board member will be live blogging during Wednesday night's board of education meeting.
Nancy Jester, a former member of the DeKalb School Board, will be live blogging during Wednesday night's board of education meeting. Her live blog will begin at 5:50, as the board prepares to convene its first meeting with six new board members that replace the ones suspended by Gov. Nathan Deal. Jim McMahan, who represents Tucker, was not among the six suspended board members. A total of 10 Tucker residents volunteered to serve on DeKalb's school board, a process that drew more than 400 applicants county-wide. You can follow Jester's live blog here on Patch. Follow Patch's Extensive Coverage of the DeKalb School Board: Gov. Deal Announces Replacements for Suspended DeKalb School Board Members Many Remain on the Fence About Thurmond, For …
Monday, March 18, 2013
Holcomb hosts a town hall meeting on March 18.
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
The new members will be sworn in at 1 pm on Wednesday.
Gov. Nathan Deal announced six new DeKalb school board members on Wednesday morning: Deal announced that the new school board members will be sworn into office at 1 pm on Wednesday afternoon at the DeKalb Board of Education offices. “I have reminded these individuals that we were brought to these circumstances because of issues of governance,” Deal said. “I have implored they work together cooperatively. I’ve also reminded them that we have a new school superintendent and I have every confidence that he will lead the school system forward.” Deal said he examined whether to reinstate any of the six suspended board members, but decided “it would be best to enter into this new process with a clean slate.” Deal also said Interim School …
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
The announcement is set for 11 am on Wednesday.
Gov. Nathan Deal is expected to announce replacements for six suspended DeKalb school board members on Wednesday. A panel appointed by the governor has spent the last several days vetting the candidates. The panel also met with Deal Tuesday morning to discuss their findings and recommendations. “I am overwhelmed by the extraordinary group of people in DeKalb County who stepped forward to try to help their community,” Deal said in a statement released Tuesday afternoon. “I greatly appreciate the nominating panel’s hard work and the difficult choices the members faced when narrowing down a field with so many excellent candidates. These individuals have worked with the best interests of DeKalb’s children in mind, and I’m proud of the …
Monday, March 4, 2013
Gov. Deal can now proceed in finding replacements.
U.S. District Judge Richard Story ruled against members of the DeKalb County Board of Education on Monday afternoon, according to Channel 2 Action News. The six suspended members, Sarah Wood, Jay Cunningham, Nancy Jester, Eugene Walker, Pamela Speaks and Donna Edler, had filed a motion, heard Friday, arguing that Governor Nathan Deal's suspension was unconstitutional. The judge's ruling allows Deal to proceed with finding new board members. Deal announced last week that he signed an executive order that accepts the State Board of Education's recommendation that six DeKalb school board members be removed. Deal has also appointed a nominating committee to recommend new members of the school board. After a 14-plus-hour meeting, the State …
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
The Tucker lawmaker held a town hall meeting Monday night.
State Rep. Scott Holcomb said he is optimistic a federal judge will validate the Georgia law allowing Gov. Nathan Deal to suspend members of the DeKalb County school board. "But we're still looking at a process that, best case, will take at least two months to sort out," Holcomb said during a Monday night town hall at Clairmont Baptist Church in Brookhaven. Holcomb represents District 81 in the state House, which includes much of the Tucker community. Earlier in the day, Deal announced that he is signing an executive order that accepts the State Board of Education's recommendation that six DeKalb school board members be removed. However, in a legal move late Friday afternoon, the school board filed an emergency motion in federal court, …
Sunday, February 24, 2013
Gov. Deal had called a Monday press conference, announcing whether or not he would suspend six members of the DeKalb Board of Education.
A federal judge has issued a restraining order that prevents the suspension of six DeKalb school board officials by Gov. Nathan Deal. Over the weekend, Judge Richard Story issued the order, according to Channel 2 Action News. The order does not prevent Deal from suspending the school board members, but does prohibit their actual suspension until a hearing is convened on Friday. Deal had scheduled a Monday news conference to announce whether he was suspending six members of the DeKalb school board. After a 14-plus-hour meeting on Thursday, the State Board of Education voted to recommend that Deal remove six members of the DeKalb school board. The board voted unanimously to recommend that Sarah Copelin-Wood, Donna Edler, Eugene Walker, Jay …
Friday, February 22, 2013
Donna Edler, whose district includes Tucker High School, would be removed if Gov. Deal follows the state board's recommendations.