Briarcliff leaders will hold a meeting Tuesday night to recap efforts to push for cityhood in the recent Georgia
legislative session and talk about a "Version 2.0" launch.
The meeting starts at 7 p.m. at Briarcliff United Methodist Church, 4105 Briarcliff Rd NE.
Efforts to create new cities in DeKalb County this year – Lakeside, Tucker and Briarcliff – all died in the legislature.
Some residents in Lakeside, Briarcliff, and Tucker want to incorporate. But, only Lakeside had a bill passed through a chamber of the General Assembly, reports Georgia Pubic Radio. The new city, as called for by Senate Bill 270, would have encompassed the area just north of Emory University and run well past I-285 to the DeKalb county line.
Briarcliff’s efforts to become a city ended earlier in the session. Lakeside struck a compromise with Tucker, which left Tucker having to wait until 2015.
The Tucker/Lakeside deal put Northlake Mall in Lakeside’s proposed boundaries. The dividing line between the two would-be cities was drawn along Lavista Road, with Lakeside getting the north side of the road, and Tucker claiming the south side, the station reports.
Organizers say the Briarcliff meeting will include:
- Mary Margaret Oliver (HD 83) and Scott Holcomb (HD 81) will be speaking
- Expect an announcement of a focused effort for bipartisan cityhood bill sponsorship
- Briarcliff has had conversations with Lakeside and Tucker this month since the end of the legislative session in an effort to unite the groups, seek common ground and move past differences.
- Time allotted for both Lakeside and Tucker to have 5 minutes to start to ease the divide among groups.
- Briarcliff was the first cityhood group to announce they'd be back with a "Version 2.0"
- Upcoming Briarcliff Appearances: C.A.N (Civic Association Network) "C.A.N. Candidate Fair + Forum" on Sunday, April 27, and Oak Groove Festival on Sunday May 4.
For additional feedback email email@example.com.
Keep in Touch via Briarcliff’s Facebook Page:
For breaking updates consider liking Briarcliff’s Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/briarcliffga
Earlier Patch stories on the issue:Push to Make Lakeside, Tucker Cities Ends for this Session