DeKalb Schools Wrestling: Tucker's Romello Swain Wins Gold Medal
McNair captures its first ever DeKalb County Wrestling title.
McNair High School celebrated its 25th year of athletic participation by rallying in the championship round to defeat Marist 200.5-193 to capture the school’s first ever DeKalb County Wrestling Championships title on Saturday at Miller Grove High School.
McNair which opened in 1987 had never finished in first or second at the county championships with only six individual gold medal winners in the previous 24 years.
Marist, the Area 6-AAAA champion, was leading going into the championship, third place and fifth place match finals by a score of 182 to 175.5.
McNair which had captured second in the Area 5-AAA Region Tournament went on to place nine in the top four places of the 14 weight divisions.
Khalil Williams ran his record to 33-1 on the season as he downed Marist’s Patrick Lange 15-3 in the finals of the 120 weight division giving the Mustangs the first of two gold medals.
D.J. Jackson also improved to 33-1 on the season and was leading Miller Grove’s Jacob Mitchell (35-6) 4-0 in the second period of their match in the 220 weight division when he got the pin for McNair’s second gold of the tournament.
McNair’s Kevin Barner (42-3) reached the finals in the 285 weight division and settled for the silver after battling undefeated Gabe Echols of Southwest DeKalb (29-0) into the third period before Echols kept his unblemished mark intact with a pin with just seconds remaining in the match.
Other top four finishers for McNair included Darius Harris (106, 4th), Deniko West (126, 3rd), Zeontaye McCoy (138, 4th), Michael Corley (160, 3rd) and Dontavious Smith (182, 3rd). McNair’s Isiah Walker placed fifth in the 171 class to round out the top finishers for the Mustangs.
Marist’s effort was led by Kenneth Brinson’s gold medal performance in the 195 weight division and three silver medal finishes by Patrick Lange (120), Matt Andres (138) and Ian Kirchner (145).
Southwest DeKalb came up short in the defense of its 2011 title with 181 points to finish in third. Echols, Anthony Kaigler (126) and Corey Strickland (145) all took gold to lead the Panthers.
The 2012 William S. Venable Trophy for the Best All-Around Wrestler was awarded to St. Pius’ Robert Martin who won gold in the 138 pound class.
The coaches also awarded the Best Finals Match to the 152 class battle between Lithonia’s Anthony Smith and Stephenson’s Stephen Wylie. Smith won the title with a 6-2 decision to stay undefeated at 18-0 while Wylie fell to 44-2 on the year with both losses coming to Smith.
The rest of the gold medal winners were Romello Swain (106) of Tucker, St. Pius’ Brian Peragine (113), Gashaw Belete (132) of Clarkston, Darion Perry (160) of Stephenson, Jaquille Fitzpatrick (171) of Lithonia and Redan’s James Philpot (182). Swain, Philpot and Echols won their second consecutive gold medals in the DeKalb County Championships.
2012 DEKALB COUNTY WRESTLING MEET RESULTS
1) McNair 200.5; 2) Marist 193; 3) Southwest DeKalb 181; 4) Miller Grove 154.5; 5) Stephenson 153.5; 6) Lithonia 126.5; 7) St. Pius 109.5; 8) Lakeside 94; 8) Redan 94; 10) Arabia Mountain 80; 11) Columbia 63; 11) Stone Mountain 63; 13) Clarkston 61; 14) Dunwoody 56.5; 15) Druid Hills 48; 16) Martin Luther King Jr. 44; 17) Tucker 42; 18) Chamblee 36; 19) Towers 25; 20) Cedar Grove 16; 21) Decatur 11; 22) Cross Keys 0.
1) Romello Swain, Tucker
2) Sunny Sharma, Dunwoody
3) Dexter Brown, Stephenson
4) Darius Harris, McNair
5) Kirkglen Hudson, Lithonia
6) Joe Geeslin, Marist
1) Brian Peragine, St. Pius
2) Alema Favors, Arabia Mountain
3) Donnell Smith, Southwest DeKalb
4) Patrick Jackson, Marist
5) Demetrius Milling, Druid Hills
6) Tor Shabazz, Stephenson
1) Khalil Williams, McNair
2) Patrick Lange, Marist
3) Carlton Benjamin, Miller Grove
4) Mario Dumas, Arabia Mountain
5) Martin Hermetz, Dunwoody
6) Nyhemah Ellison, Columbia
1) Anthony Kaigler, Southwest DeKalb
2) Jordan Webb, Redan
3) Deniko West, McNair
4) Domonic Walker, Miller Grove
5) Peter Nguyen, Marist
6) David Williams, Stephenson
1) Gashaw Belete, Clarkston
2) Alton Hill, Miller Grove
3) Demaal Ford, Redan
4) Harris Woodward, St. Pius
5) Antwan Sims, Arabia Mountain
6) Matt Phipps, Dunwoody
1) Robert Martin, St. Pius
2) Matt Andres, Marist
3) Audley Miller, Clarkston
4) Zeontaye McCoy, McNair
5) Larry Reaves, Lithonia
6) Marquehz Lester, Southwest DeKalb
1) Corey Strickland, Southwest DeKalb
2) Ian Kirchner, Marist
3) Leqwan Petty, Clarkston
4) Christian Lockwood, Lakeside
5) Drexal Alexander, Arabia Mountain
6) Tim Hines, Chamblee
1) Anthony Smith, Lithonia
2) Stephen Wylie, Stephenson
3) Damian Schofield, Stone Mountain
4) Connor Quirk, Marist
5) Dennis Rhodes, Druid Hills
6) Joshua Powell, Lakeside
1) Darion Perry, Stephenson
2) Deunte Mosley, Stone Mountain
3) Michael Corley, McNair
4) Calvin Carter, Columbia
5) Eamon Quinn, St. Pius
6) Joseph Newman, Towers
1) Jaquille Fitzpatrick, Lithonia
2) Christopher Marion, Stephenson
3) Reginald Tolbert, Miller Grove
4) Aubrey Seals, Martin Luther King Jr.
5) Isiah Walker, McNair
6) Alex LaRotta, Lakeside
1) James Philpot, Redan
2) Lajuan Fulmore, Lithonia
3) Dontavius Smith, McNair
4) Walter Lowery, Stone Mountain
5) Justin Hussein, Southwest DeKalb
6) Cameron Wells, Tucker
1) Kenneth Brinson, Marist
2) Phillip Watkins, Lakeside
3) Wesley Williams, Miller Grove
4) Kori Thomas, Southwest DeKalb
5) Julian Edwards, Cedar Grove
6) Dalton Wilson, St. Pius
1) D.J. Jackson, McNair
2) Jacob Mitchell, Miller Grove
3) Jack Trainor, Marist
4) Adrian Francisco, Lakeside
5) RamelCrawford, Southwest DeKalb
6) Anthony Lake, Redan
1) Gabriel Echols, Southwest DeKalb
2) Kevin Barner, McNair
3) Thadeus Nelson, Miller Grove
4) Steven Wallace, Marist
5) Brandon Addison, Stephenson
6) Hervis Gonzalez, Lakeside
Mark Brock is the Statistician and Information Officer for DeKalb County Schools Athletics